Santa BarbaraUnknown Artist
Hope Ranch Beach Santa Barbara Poster
Delia Hope's Ranch Parcel came to the attention of Southern Pacific Railroad magnates in 1887 who had created several resort hotels in California. They purchased the ranch from Delia for $200,000 with the idea to create another upper-income hostelry at Hope Ranch. The partnership was called the Pacific Improvement Company and from 1888 to 1920 this organization began to shape the future wealthy suburb by paving several roads. They drilled wells in the deep bedrock of the San Roque foothills and piped water to Laguna Blanca, which they used as a reservoir. Their excellent supply made them fully water independent from the City or County.