Trainsby Leslie Ragan
Cleveland Union Train Terminal Poster
1930 Union Terminal in Cleveland, Ohio.Since the late 1800's, railroads had been constructing trainstations of monumental proportions, featuring a variety of classical design elements. In the 1920's, it was time for Cleveland, Ohio, to gain such a structure, and for railroad passengers to gain the convenience of a single union station, eliminating the need to transfer across town when changing between trains of different rail lines. In 1925, the firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst and White was engaged to engineer the proposed structure, having completed Chicago's Union Station earlier that year. Their design included an office building that, upon completion in 1930, became the trademark feature of Cleveland's skyline. The superb passenger trains of the New York Central Lines paused here on their luxury runs connecting New York City and Boston with the Midwest, and the terminal also played host to the fine trains of the Baltimore & Ohio and the nickel Plate. For many years, Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the city, at 708 feet, and it stands today, attractively illuminated each evening, and still a Cleveland landmark overlooking Lake Erie. This poster is part of a series the artist created for the N.Y. Central celebrating cities that it served. Ragan, an Iowa native who studied painting and illustration in Chicago before moving to New York City, spent most of his career creating posters for the Norfolk & Western and the New York Central railroads.