Balls / GalasUnknown Artist
Bullier Nouveau Music Hall Poster
The original Bal Bullier - also known as the Closerie des Lilas - was constructed by Bullier on the grounds of an old convent at the corner where the Blvd Port-Royal crosses the Ave. de lObservatoire. A new owner transformed the gardens, planting clumps of trees and lilacs and building a room inspired by the Moorish architecture of the Alhambra. Posters show it in operation at least through the winter of 1894-95. This enchanting image, however, is for the later Bullier-Nouveau. Whether now refers here to a simple renovation, yet another owner or a change in address, the design is filled with movement and high spirits that make us want to join the fun.